Re: [gardeners] Sunday in the garden

Dan Dixon (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 03 Jul 2002 10:33:13 -0500

Margaret Lauterbach at melauter@earthlink.net wrote:

> She could quickly buy some guinea fowl or peacocks, or try spraying Nosema
> locustae  in a bait.  Tell her to find www.planetnatural.com and look for
> Semaspore (contains Nosema locustae).  They're based in Bozeman, Montana,
> so should recognize the necessity for speed, since that product works best
> on small grasshoppers.  Margaret L

The birds oughta work if she doesnt have cats or dogs, but Nosema's a
slow-acting protozoan disease that takes a while to significantly affect
grasshopper populations. She could try using Nosema for long-term control,
plus another insecticide spray or bran bait for quick knock-down of current
population. Spray type would depend on type of plants, whether she wants to
stay organic, etc. I don't know much about the bran baits, but they sound
effective from what I've read.

Dan Dixon