Re: [gardeners] Re: typhoon in the garden

Billie (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:08:45 -0400

on 7/24/02 10:51 AM, Margaret Lauterbach at melauter@earthlink.net wrote:

> At 08:30 AM 7/24/02 -0500, you wrote:
>> We're going to put in Pergo Presto, a floating wood laminate floor that
>> each piece locks to the
>> next. I don't remember the thickness but think it's about what you're
>> looking for. It costs about
>> $2.98 per square foot locally but can be self-installed with minimal
>> tools. We're trying to get rid
>> of most of the "soft" floors due to allergies both of us have developed.
>> When we took up the top
>> carpet layer there was enough dust under it we had to vacuum before we
>> could take up the next carpet
>> layer. We both wore dust masks throughout the demolition.
>>
>> George
>
> That's daunting news, George.  You and Anne are such clean people.  If you
> have dust filtering through the carpet, what do the rest of us have?  Maybe
> I could garden indoors.  Margaret L

We've undergone a similar process of getting all the wall-to-wall carpet out
of our house. Between the dogs, kids, and dirt clods we all track in from
being out in the yard so much, it seemed unlikely we could ever keep the
carpets truly clean.

I was horrified when we ripped the master bedroom carpet up. There was
enough dirt underneath it to start a container garden!

We've done the projects one at a time - now have Italian tile in the laundry
room, both bathrooms, and the master bedroom (with an inexpensive wool area
rug to cozy it up a bit - can thankfully replace this as needed and can
clean under it as well!) and I've got my eye on the kids' bedrooms next.

It's so wonderful when it's done but such an ordeal during the doing of
it... we had to rent a U-haul when we did the master bedroom so we'd have a
place to store that furniture while we did the work.

billie