Re: [gardeners] A primer on sweetgum trees

M T (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:36:13 -0700 (PDT)

8. The gumballs are as difficult to rake up as tiny leaves! It's less
annoying to just go ahead and pick up every singe one of the d*mn
things by hand!

9. During drought years, a noticable portion of the leaves shed
throughout the summer. Picking the large yellowed leaves out of the new
evergreen hedge gets old quickly.

 Three of their only good points -

 a. their sharply pointed large leaf shape

 b. the incredibly beautiful reddish-bronze fall color, which generally
is one of the first trees to turn color in our area

 c. they are slightly more desirable than a mulberry tree. Where the
HECK are all these mulberry seedlings coming from?! I haven't found a
mature mulberry tree within 2 blocks!

 About 5-7 years ago a product came out that could be sprayed on the
sweet gum trees to keep the gumballs from forming.
 But the chemical is expensive and has to be timed almost to the week
in late spring to be effective.
 Since the trees are usually in the 30 to 50 foot range, it generally
requires calling in a professional landscaper with a high pressure
sprayer. Convincing them to drag out some heavy equipment for a one
hour job at a small price is difficult since late spring is not exactly
a slow time for landscapers.
 I remember reading in the local gardening column that the chemicals
results had been 'iffy' at best.

Good Gardening,
Matt in Norfolk, Va. USDA zone 8