Re: [gardeners] Lemon Trees/Meyer

Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:08:32 -0500

Yeah, the CTV was the reason the Meyer Lemon was completely changed. As
I said earlier the original ones were round and orange in color, looked
nothing like a lemon at all but were very sour. I was totally amazed a
couple of years ago when people started telling me I was crazy, the
Meyer was yellow, looked like a lemon, etc. Looked them up and read the
story as to why the Meyer was changed so completely. Reckon Arizona
hasn't gotten around to certifying the "new" Meyer as yet but Florida
and some other citrus states allow them no as I understand.

I grow the Ponderosa lemon myself, much harder here in SW Louisiana and
only gets bitten back by frost about every 5 to 6 years, particularly if
I forget to cover it. Have harvested lemons up to 3 lbs from the thing
and 2 lbs is common. It's not very attractive, grows sort of sprangly
but sure is productive.

Thanks for the cites, very informative.

George