Re: [gardeners] sn#w

M T (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 21:34:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi George,
 Nope, Global Warming is a good thing! (at least if it doesn't
perpetuate the drought, and the sea level doesn't rise above our 9 foot
elevation....)
 A White Christmas is a perennial disapointment. It's our weatherman's
favorite topic the entire week before. I think they said we get one
about once every 20 years.

 Last real winter was in 97 or 98 in late February/early March. Several
days with highs below freezing. Unheard of for our area except every 15
years or so.
 We usually have 3-6 broken up weeks of lows below freezing, sometimes
in the high teens, but that's all.
 We had 9 inches of snow in one day last January. Then it melted
completely in a week, except for the piles left over from snow removal.

 Most of the USDA zone 8 plants we use are fine to marginal. The
elephant ears, hardy gingers, amarillis, crinums and other bulbs do ok,
but the evergreen broad leaf shrubs and palms are always chancy. The
palms except the windmills and sable minors need to be booted (wrapped)
after Thanksgiving (American Thanksgiving, in late November <BG>)
Coconut palms are not an option!

 In the bad winter of 97 (or 98) all the gardenias froze back to the
ground, most came back and eventually looked great. The fatsias and
acubas looked pretty bad but recovered. The camillias were pretty
burned but eventually ok. Most of the oleanders died completely.
 I wouldn't rely on any of them for a privacy hedge, but we have them
as specimen plants all over the yard.

Stay warm,

Matt in Norfolk, Va. USDA zone 8