Re: [gardeners] Sunday in the garden

GizmoAZ (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:43:39 -0700

Wow, sounds like you've been very busy George!

A busy Sunday here too.  I received 10 roses in today.  8 of them were
replacement roses for 8 mis-labeled Sunsprite.  I dug up the mis-labeled
roses, which we determined are White Maman Cochet.  One of them I am
keeping, and have planted in one of my rose beds in the back yard, as
this is a good rose, and blooms well even in the summer.  The other 7
are being donated to our local rose society for their Christmas Raffle,
as I have no room for them all.  I planted the 8 Sunsprite in their
former spots.  Now my rose hedge of Sunsprite is complete, all the way
around the border of the front yard.  It should look nice when they are
all in bloom, and they are all yellow instead of some of them being
white...laugh! ;)

I also planted to other roses which I had ordered.  One is called
"Secret Garden Musk Climber".  It was found in an old garden in Southern
California. A beautiful rose, which when in bloom, almost looks like
white Hydrangea.  Since I can't grow Hydrangea here because it is too
hot, this is a prefect replacement. You can see a picture of it at this
link:

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/musks/secretgarden.html

I also planted "Lavender Dreams".  A delightful mauvish-pink rose.  Some
have called it Belinda, but we believe that not to be true, after much
conversation with our friends on the other side of the pond.  You can
see a picture of it at this link:

http://www.gardenerscorner.com/LavanderDreams.html

I also gave my roses their last fertilization of the year.  A good bath
in emulsified fish.  This should keep them over, and provide roses on
the table for Christmas, yet not create to much tender growth that could
get frost bitten, if we have an frost at all.   The whole yard spells
like fish right now.  I keep watching for the neighborhood cats to hop
over the fence to investigate, but have seen none so far.  I really like
feeding my roses fish emulsion.  It seems to intensify their colors, and
make them really pop.  Many rosarians use fish emulsion two weeks before
a rose show to brighten the colors of their roses.  Really great stuff!
 I use it on all my annuals, perennials and outdoor houseplants as well.
 If it didn't smell so bad I would use it on my indoor houseplants as
well...hehehe.

All in all a great weekend.  We were suppose to get rain all weekend,
and haven't seen a single drop.  Lots of threatening clouds, but they
don't seem to have enough steam in them to do anything.  So mostly sunny
today, temps in the mid 70's.  Life is good!

--
-----
Chat with you later...

*** Lots of new Gardeners Garden Pics on the "My Friends Gardens Pages...check it out!!!. ***

http://www.GardenersCorner.com
-----
 When you kill a bug, ten more come for the funeral