Re: [gardeners] night blooming cereus

Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:43:31 -0600

You won't get blooms from the spikes, those are just growth spurts and
will put on strap leaves sooner or later. The blooms are borne at the
edge of one of the strap leaves. You will see a short spike with a bulge
on the end, the bulge is the bud and will look like it is covered with
red netting. After that you watch the bud for signs of blooming but you
have to check it every night as it will surprise you when it blooms.

As a side note, we left two young cereus out all of our winter. At least
two hard freezes. The blamed things are thriving again with warm weather
here. They were an experiment and I thought for sure they would freeze
back. Evidently it didn't freeze enough to kill them.

George