RE: [gardeners] Re: this is spring?

Anne Green (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 12:05:51 -0500

Aligators are dangerous.  A couple years ago a child who fell off a bike
was bitten, but saved, when she fell off of her bike on the Everglade
trails.  She fell at dusk as the family was taking an evening ride from
their campsite.  In a different area a child was saved, but her father
drowned when he got in the water to save her.   Both of these incedences
took place at dusk, which is normal feeding time for most gators.  To a
hungry gator any time is feeding time.

As a teen we used to swim with the gators across the river, but we knew
not to be out there at feeding time which is dawn and dusk.  Course,
they had plenty of food available and did not need us.  We still tell
newcomers if you are walking your dog and the gator comes after you, let
him have the dog and run like hell.  The majority of injuries occur when
someone tries to save their dog.  We still do swim in gator infested
waters, but not if we can see them, and only if the water and edges are
clear of weeds and brush for them to hide in.
Anne in FL