RE: [gardeners] Hollyhocks in bloom

Zelhart Alan-rpcs30 (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 5 May 2003 08:58:54 -0700

Hi Penny,

Roses need more than good sunlight, they need good circulation.  There are several things that could be wrong here.

1. The heat coming through that window is magnified and to hot for the rose.  Since you say you have other plants there, I doubt that is the problem.

2. Even though they are getting morning sun, it is not enough.  Miniature roses, just like regular, prefer 6 full ours of sun per day.

3. Not enough good air flow and circulation.

4. Not watering it enough. (If your watering too much, the leaves would turn yellow first and then fall off).  If it is in the little pot you were given the rose in, it may be draining to fast and drying out quickly.  I would repot into a bigger pot and move it outdoors.

My recommendation would be to move it outdoors where it gets morning sun and afternoon shade.  See how it does.  I bet you will notice improvements within a week or two.  Miniature roses are really not meant to be indoor plants, unless you have a wonderful green house environment for them where they get bright filtered light all day long.

Chat with you later,
Alan
--
Chandler, Arizona        Sunset Zone: 13
http://www.GardenersCorner.com