RE: [gardeners] Weekend report

Anne Green (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:10:19 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C36570.EE457DE0

AP and dual enrollment are really two different things that achieve the
same goal.  At least they are here in FL and a couple of other states.
Both give college credit for classes taken while still in high school.
There are, however, differences.  AP classes are given in the high
school by high school teachers (PhD or not).  A test must be passed for
the student to get college credits.  Dual enrollment are given at the
local community college by college teachers (professors or not).  No
extra test is needed as the student has taken an actual college course.
With AP if the student fails the test there is no mark on their college
record.  With dual enrollment they get what they get and it transfers to
any other college pass or fail.  That does not mean that the Community
college could not give courses on the high school grounds during and
after regular hours.

We have AP here in our area, but when I was in high school ^(&* years
ago we had teachers  from the CC that came in and taught us seniors.
Anne in FL

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardeners@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-gardeners@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of Ron Hay
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 5:38 PM
To: gardeners@globalgarden.com
Subject: Re: [gardeners] Weekend report

Hello, George,

Thanks for the great description of your growing family.

Taking such college courses in high school is fairly common nationwide,
and is usually referred to as "AP" course or advanced placement.

It's great that they are available in Louisiana, too.

Ron

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C36570.EE457DE0

Message
AP=20 and dual enrollment are really two different things that achieve the = same=20 goal.  At least they are here in FL and a couple of other = states. =20 Both give college credit for classes taken while still in high = school. =20 There are, however, differences.  AP classes are given in the high = school=20 by high school teachers (PhD or not).  A test must be passed for = the=20 student to get college credits.  Dual enrollment are given at = the=20 local community college by college teachers (professors or not).  = No extra=20 test is needed as the student has taken an actual college course.  = With AP=20 if the student fails the test there is no mark on their college = record. =20 With dual enrollment they get what they get and it transfers to any = other=20 college pass or fail.  That does not mean that the Community = college could=20 not give courses on the high school grounds during and after regular=20 hours.

We=20 have AP here in our area, but when I was in high school ^(&* years = ago we=20 had teachers  from the CC that came in and taught us seniors.  =
Anne in FL
Thanks for the great description of your growing family.

Taking such college courses in high school is fairly common = nationwide,=20 and is usually referred to as "AP" course or advanced placement.