[tomato] tomatoes turning brown

hgeep1@SoCA.com
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 16:28:24 -0700

AVarela007@aol.com wrote:

> To the people (the Lasakows) whose tomatoes are all ripening at once with no
> new fruit set - perhaps you're growing a determinate type of tomato plant?
> Those varieties do exactly what you're describing, producing a bunch of fruit
> pretty much all at once and then quitting. If this isn't what you want,
> consider growing INdeterminate varieties, which produce fewer fruit at one
> time, but keep putting out fruit until they're killed by the fall frost.
>
> Happy gardening!
>
> - Anna V. in Zone 77/16

Many of my tomatoes are turning brown on the bottom before they ripen. (celebrity, roma,
patio, early girl). I am growing in barrels in potting soil.

Is this what is called "blossom end rot"?

Does anyone know if this is due to too much fertilizer (I have been using Miracle-Gro
for tomatoes), not enough fertilizer, too much water, not enough water?

This just started. I live just north of Los Angeles near Ventura County.

Any suggestions or adivse would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Howard Goodman