Re: [tomato] dappling leaves

Terry King (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Sat, 28 Feb 98 00:01:13 -0600

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 20:15:13 -0800, Ian Stoba and Laurie Mandigo-Stoba
wrote:

>>Is there a pattern to the dappling?  Are the veins green while the
>>intervein area
>>yellow?  Is it advancing up from the bottom of the plant or is it staying
>>on the
>>lower leaves?
>
>Yep, the veins are green, the intervein is yellow.  It is advancing up from
>the bottom.  The new leaves start dark green, and then change to the
>pattern.  Sounds like you know what this is;)  Please do tell!

One more question.  Are the older leaves wilting, drying up and falling off as
this progresses?  If so then it may be fusarium wilt and the plants should be
destroyed.

If not then and the leaves have a bronzy cast it could be potassium deficiency.
If no bronzy cast and the plants are not actively growing then its a nitrogen
deficiency.  I suggest feeding with a *regularly* a good fertilizer of your
choice.  A small amount in every watering is probably better than larger
feedings less often if they are in small pots.  Feed both the roots and the
foliage for a more rapid cure.

I hope this helps.  Sometimes tomato problems are hard to diagnose so you
have to try several different things.

Terry King                  North Central Eastern Washington
taeking@televar.com        USDA zone 4, Sunset Zone 1