[tomato] [Fwd: Natural Life Magazine #61 - Saving Seed Becomes Illegal]

Connie Hoy (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Mon, 03 Aug 1998 15:07:35 -0700

--------------91C9638B3172130EA5C7484F

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 15:02:50 -0700
From: Connie Hoy <coneh@uswest.net>
To: "seeds-list@eskimo.com" <seeds-list@eskimo.com>
Subject: Natural Life Magazine #61 - Saving Seed Becomes Illegal

--------------478D6D5D3CB20D1C057AC520

To all Seed list members,

As we all share a need/love of growing from seed I thought you would
want to know what is quietly taking place.I will refrain from comment
hoping you will read this page for yourself and direct your actions
accordingly.One thing I think we can agree on is its not difficult to
imagine this could forever alter gardening as we  know it and the
uncertainty if they would be content with the commercial crops
only....Please read and share this with others..Your opinion counts with
your legislator.
Connie Hoy
http://www.life.ca/nl/61/seedsaving.html

--------------478D6D5D3CB20D1C057AC520
	ml"

Natural Life Magazine #61 - Saving Seed Becomes Illegal
http://www.life.ca                      Natural Life                     May 1998

Saving Seed Becomes Illegal

Mississipi-based Delta & Pine Land Co. and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) have received a U.S. patent on a new genetic technology designed to prevent unauthorized seed saving by farmers. The patented technology, called “Control of plant gene expression” allows seed companies to control the viability of progeny seed without harming the crop. In other words, the new technology genetically alters the seed so that it will not germinate if re-planted a second time.

The patent is broad, applying to plants and seeds of all species, including both transgenic (genetically engineered) and conventionally-bred seeds. If commercially viable, the patented technology could have far-reaching implications for farmers and the commercial seed industry. If the technology is widely licensed, it could be a boon to the seed industry – especially for companies marketing self-pollinating seeds such as wheat, rice, cotton, soybeans, oats and sorghum.

If commercially viable, the new technology could mean huge profits in entirely new sectors of the seed industry. For farmers, the patented technology will undoubtedly mean greater dependence on the commercial seed market. If widely utilized, farmers will lose the age-old right to save seed from their harvest. And it appears that corporations are already moving in this direction. Recent reports say that Monsanto has hired Pinkerton investigators to identify unauthorized seed-saving farmers.

According to USDA spokesman Willard Phelps, Delta & Pine Land Co. has the option to exclusively license the patented technology that it jointly developed with USDA researchers. The USDA wants the technology to be “widely licensed and made expeditiously available to many seed companies,” says  Phelps. The goal is “to increase the value of proprietary seed owned by US seed companies and to open up new markets in Second and Third World countries.”

Delta & Pine Land Co. is the largest cotton seed company in the world, with 1997 annual sales of $183 million. Monsanto is a minor shareholder in Delta & Pineland; the two companies have a joint cotton seed venture in China.

Copyright © The Alternate Press
215
May 1998 Index Subject Index www.life.ca Home Page