Re: [tomato] Difference of opinion

Alex & Pat (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Fri, 09 Oct 1998 08:42:39 -0400

Hi Marlynn (and other listers),
I, too, like to experiment, and usually try one or two new
varieties every year in addition to my tried-and-true varieties,
with little regard for whether they are heirlooms or hybrids.
Some work out, and some don't.
I know someone in my area who has grown 4th of July tomatoes and
loves them, and yet just about everyone else has found them
lacking. (I haven't tried them.) In addition to differences in
taste, it seems that what works well in some gardens, might not
work well for someone else, and one can have different results
from season to season with the same varieties. It's just too bad
that some people seem to take differences in taste and opinion so
personally.

I'm always glad to hear about varieties I haven't tried, and I'm
certainly not against adding more heirlooms to my garden. I've
had consistent success with Rutgers, and Dona also does well in
my garden. I refuse to grow Early Girl. It's not all that much
earlier than the others, and I find the taste/color/texture
uninteresting.
This year I tried Better Bush for the first time and was pleased
with the results. The fruits were nicely shaped and grew in
generous clusters. The flesh was red and "meaty", so much better
than Better Boy, which seems to be a favorite in the area where I
live.

Any good suggestions for next season?
Pat