[tomato] This seems insane to me

Richard Yarnell (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:35:29 -0700 (PDT)

Some of you may have seen this tidbit.  Since we all garden, many of us
save seeds, and there has been a recurring discussion about hybrid seeds
and "heirlooms,"  I'd like to hear from the list about the "Terminator"
gene Monsanto intends to loose on the world with the assistance of the USDA.

The commentary is a remnant of a posting I did to a local (on my provider)
general discussion bb.

If you don't garden but do eat and can imagine that someday there will be a
cataclism which interrupts trade, industrial production, or some other
unimagined stupidity, then contemplate farmers and gardeners who have
nothing but sterile seed available.

Take a look at how broad the patent is.  What happens if the
terminator gene is transmitted to open pollinated plants?  Suddenly the
heirloom varieties which we love for their taste, productivity, resistance
to pests and disease, and the repository for genes not yet recognized for
their importance will be lost.

I don't think I'm exagerating when I say this is as bad as any biological
weapon yet devised.  And it's all for profit.  Once it's loose, there will
be no controlling it.  I promise it will interrupt the natural production
of seed and will do more than produce corporate profit.  Eventually it
will cause terrible global famine.

In Russia, one of the greatest collections of seed is wasting away for
lack of funds to maintain it (seeds must be planted periodically to
produce new stock - seeds eventually die).  Industrial agriculture has
already drastically reduced the number of varieties of almost every food
producing plant we use.  Now this.  It is insane and must be stopped.

Take the time to first read the following article and then contact your
own legislator, Vice President Gore, and the three individuals mentioned
in the article.

Thanks.