Re: [tomato] Newbie at starting seeds

margaret lauterbach (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:05:52 -0700

At 11:31 AM 1/14/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey, WAKE UP!
>I am inspired to try my hand at starting seeds this year because it will
>give me access to heirloom varieties.  Attempts at starting seeds have
>failed in the past because I thought you just needed a sunny window to
>start seeds.  I have two specific questions:
>
>Is a 4 foot fluorescent light fixture containing 4 tubes, 400 watts each
>sufficient?  Too much?
>
>Is there any harm in leaving that fixture on 24 hrs/day, since it's
>wired into a switch?
>
>OK, three questions.  Where is a good, INEXPENSIVE source for obtaining
>what is necessary for heat underneath the seedlings?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Diane

Not all seeds need heat for germinating, but most don't like cold for
germinating.  Best source in your house is the top of your refrigerator.
You can start seeds in a sunny window, just turn the container regularly so
they don't lean toward the sun.  Just don't let the planting mix dry out.
The mix should not be soggy, nor should it be dry.  Once you start your
seeds on the road to germinationhood, they should not dry or they die.
Margaret (you woke me up!)