Re: [tomato] Seed starting advice

Orchid (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:37:40 -0500

>I have a friend in the local University's electrical & lighting department.
>She says white actually reflects more than metallics like foil, mylar, or
even
>mirrors.  White is the reflection (or lack of absorption) of all
wavelengths
>of light.  The metallics do absorb some of the light.  The back coating of
>mirror absorbs a little light.
>
>Alex

Thank you for your information, but I find that white reflecting more light
than mirrors or foil confusing.  Don't car headlights use reflective
coatings in their headlights?  I dabble with salt water fish, and they sell
reflective strips to put over aquarium bulbs to increase light output.
Isn't that what a mirror is? A surface that reflects ALL light so that you
can see your reflection perfectly?   Ahhhh, the miracles of nature.  Thank
you for adding to my knowledge of seedling propagation.

To those with more experience in gardening who might tire of the "same old
questions", remember, IF EVERYONE KNEW EVERYTHING.....THEN WE'D HAVE NO USE
FOR A DISCUSSION GROUP.

I for one have learned much from this tomato forum.  Thank you to all.

Pete, Zone 10, South Florida