Re: [tomato] light, not heat

Louis Mensing (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:10:11 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: margaret lauterbach <mlaute@micron.net>
To: Tomato@GlobalGarden.com <Tomato@GlobalGarden.com>
Date: Thursday, March 04, 1999 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: [tomato] light, not heat

Margaret said...
>"It may benefit you and others, but I do not intend to use purchased
>inoculants.  Since my tomatoes have been growing in the same location for
>nearly 30 years and have been organically fertilized, they should have
>created their own mycorrhizae.  The one change I'm going to make is to stop
>annual rototilling of that area."

It certainly seems logical that your mycorrhizal situation has been improved
by growing your tomatoes in one location.  You have reported good success by
doing so.    Also, the 'no-till' seems to be the best way of preserving the
mycorrhiza and the soil structure.  I am going to visit some used book
stores to find Ruth Stout's book.  She must have been on the right track
years ago.

Margaret, tell again what your fertilizer practices are and do you mulch?

Sincerely,
Louis Mensing
Eugene, OR