Re: [tomato] No-till.

Orchid (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 13:55:14 -0500

>>No till is definitely a plus in any operation.  It allows moisture
>>conservation and it also helps to ensure that there is a viable and
>>healthy population of fungi and bacteria in the soil.  However, it will
>>also tend to reduce soil temperatures.

Being a newbie, I assume tilling is the mechanical or manual method of
breaking up the soil to make it loose enough to plant.  Most sources say to
work manure and fertilizer into the soil to a depth of 8" or so, so the no
till philosophy is confusing me.  Also, in the organic method, once the
tomato and vegetable garden is established and growing, do you need to add
additional fertilizer, and if so, how do you do it without "burning" the
plants?

One last question, some nurserymen advise me to use a fungicide to kill the
HARMFUL fungi.  I assume that this would also kill the beneficial organisms
as well.

Pete, Zone 10, South Florida