Re: [tomato] Dianes questions on manure.

Thomas Giannou (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 07:14:08 -0800

Dear Pete,

Your own words detailed part of the problem with green manure.  Green manure
will have a detrimental effect on micro-organisms in your soil in a couple
of ways.  That is why well aged composted manure is advised.  Other types of
manure like Chicken manure and Bat Guano should be avoided because of their
soluble phosphorus content which has a detrimental effect upon beneficial
fungi forming a relationship with your plants.  If a lot of beneficial fungi
already have a symbiotic relationship with your plants then adding levels of
soluble phosphorus above 1% could damage the plants to the point of killing
them.  Green manure, with it's urea content has a lot of quick release
nitrogen.  That is also detrimental to micro-organisms in the soil.  It's
the wrong form of nitrogen.  With well aged composted manure, the
micro-organisms will break down the organic material and make the nitrogen
available to the plants either through the beneficial fungi or it will be
added slowly to the water around the roots of the plants and be taken in by
the roots.

Of course, if prior fertilizing practices used a lot of chemical fertilizers
then there quite likely won't be a lot of micro-organisms present to do much
with the manure.   I gathered about five gallons of soil last fall from a
wheat field west of Spokane.  After removing the wheat plants, I noticed
that the chaff and stubble from the prior year or years had not broken down.
In fact, it wasn't even moldy.  There wasn't a worm present and I found no
insects.  I know a few vegetarians and what they were saying about food
stuff grown in soil like that was starting to make sense.  I was using the
soil to test some Red Winter Wheat with Bio-Vam's Biotics.  The test showed
good root development in the test group over the controls.  But I had to end
the test because the fungus flies which came in on my Pepper plant were
greatly increasing in numbers.  They are beneficial, but my wife didn't
appreciate having the fungus flies all over the house.  --go figure.  Our us
e of sticky fly traps eventually controlled the fungus flies.

Regards,
Thomas Giannou
Spokane, Washington