Re: [tomato] Chinese Red Lantern Tomatoes?

Saulth (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 02:03:07 -0500

Date sent:      	Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:08:43 -0500
From:           	ChuckWyatt/Md/Z7 <ChuckWyatt@compuserve.com>
Subject:        	[tomato] Chinese Red Lantern Tomatoes?
To:             	"INTERNET:Tomato@GlobalGarden.com" <Tomato@GlobalGarden.com>
Send reply to:  	Tomato@GlobalGarden.com

> The Chinese Lantern tomatoes are otherwise known as husk tomatoes and my
> understanding is that they are likely to cross pollinate our present day
> edible varieties.  i would urge caution in growing them closer than 100
> feet of other tomatoes from which you plan to save seed.

Chuck,
Thanx for the info.  Seems odd, as they are being advertised as an
heiloom seed, and I was under the assumption (remember, I just
started semi-seriously gardening last year) that heirlooms tended
to stay 'pure'.

In anycase, bowing to your vastly greater experience &
knowledge...should I worry more about the Lanterns, or the other
types I grow?  I plan on a couple of Brandywines this year for sure,
as well as a couple of other heirloom varieties, and if I save seed
from any of them... <knowledgeless shrug>

Thanx!

Blessings,
Kimberlee
"It was only after their population of fifty mysteriously shrank
 to eight, that the other seven dwarfs began to suspect Hungry."