Re: [tomato] Creating your own heirlooms?

margaret lauterbach (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:11:49 -0700

At 09:36 PM 3/30/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I was tongue in cheek about the fireflies, but wasn't there a big uproar
>over scientists successfully gene spliced a gene from a fish, like salmon,
>with a tomato? Consumer groups were upset because people who were allergic
>to one kind of food, might not know that they may have an allergic reaction
>because of mixed species?  They either wanted this practice to stop, or
>better labeling in markets to warn consumers.  Did this tomato ever come to
>market?  Come on, somebody tell me they've heard of this before.....
>
>Pete, Zone 10, South Florida

Pete, I think they spliced that salmon gene into the tomato to get the
tomato to return to its roots...er, redds, where it was spawned. Americans
don't know what kind of Frankenstein foods they're eating because the FDA
is taking a few years off. Europeans aren't eating those foods because they
know what foods are from genetically unnatural sources and are rejecting
them.  If the report is correct, that 100% of the soybean crop in America
will be genetically manipulated this year, pray for the babies that have to
drink soymilk. ("Look like soybeans to me," Able Slush of the FDA
commented, hitching his overalls and sending a quid of brown juice into the
dust.)  Margaret L