Re: [tomato] Container Grown Tomatoes

margaret lauterbach (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:12:04 -0600

At 01:03 PM 6/18/99 EDT, you wrote:
>First I'd like to thank those of you who responded to my request of
yesterday
>for information about amish/heirloom tomatoes.
>
>As I said in my post yesterday, I'm a novice gardener & from "watching" the
>tomato listserve I know that you all are truly experts, but you were so kind
>yesterday I'd like to ask another question.
>
>I have three tomatoes growing in containers that are already producing
fruit,
>but I fear that the containers I have them in are too small.  My question
>is.....dare I try to transplant them into larger containers at this stage or
>should I just leave well enough alone for this season & learn for next.
And,
>is it too late to plant tomatoes now?  (not from seed, of course, but
already
>started plants that can be purchased many places).  I live in zone 7,
central
>Virginia.
>
>Thanks again.  I'm learning an awful lot & am thouroughly enjoying my
venture
>into gardening.
>
>Kim

You could transplant them into larger containers now. Are they in gallon
pots?  Put them in 5 gallon containers. See about buying used ones from a
local nursery or get fruit or frosting plastic pails from a bakery or
supermarket. Should be able to get a 5-6 gallon tub for no more than $1,
drill holes in the bottom for drainage, and have at it.  Margaret L