Re: [tomato] Watering Container Grown Tomatoes

Edmund C. Flynn (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 21:53:52 -0400

Greg Park wrote:

> Ed,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> >And, for tomatoes, a scant handful of lime.
>
> Ahhh, the one thing I didn't do...is it too late to add lime as a side
> dressing?  My plants are about 3 ft tall and starting to bear fruit.

Lime doesn't migrate through the soil very fast, so would probably not get
to the roots where you want it. Actually the purpose for lime is to prevent
blossom end rot which often developes in container plantings. Perhaps there
is a liquified lime that can be bought and there is a product that better
garden shops used to carry (hopefully still do) that is a specific for
blossom end rot. I wouldn't bother to buy it unless and until the first
sign of the problem shows up.

Ed