Re: [tomato] Silver Plastic Mulch Repels Bugs, Increases Yields

Richard Yarnell (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:30:20 -0700 (PDT)

Would some plant scientist comment on the possible adverse effects of
"applying" intense sunlight to the underside of a leaf?  It seems to me
there could be problems by asking "underside" cells to cope with a
condition from which they are normally protected and little advantage to
putting light where it's not expected by the plant (eg. photosynthtically
active cells.)

The highly reflective "mulch" will tend to cool the soil (perhaps not the
desired result in the fall) just the opposite result when compared to
black plastic.

This gets us back into the question about the mechnism of the colored
mulches.