Re: [tomato] Questions about soil

margaret lauterbach (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Sat, 03 Jul 1999 11:17:02 -0600

At 09:54 AM 7/3/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I've heard, and seen, that planting tomatoes or peppers over and over again
>in the same area eventually makes that bed unuseable for planting tomatoes
>or peppers again in that soil after a few years.  So my questions are, what
>exactly does it 1. take out or 2. put in that makes the soil bad, and what
>would be an addenda to the soil to lengthen or re-nourish it?  I do try to
>roatate the crops around but next year is gonna be hard because most of my
>beds have peppers and tomatoes in them (goin for salsa! and sauces!), and I
>want to be able to plant peppers and tomatoes next year as well!  So short
>of depriving myself of an abundant harvest of my favorite veggies next
>year, what is an alternative?
>
>Additionally I have three beds that are the most suited for both tomatoes
>and peppers because they get the most sun and heat.  So I would probably
>want to use them yearly for those crops.
>
>TIA

Joy, I grow tomatoes in the same patch every year. Some research indicates
that growing tomatoes prepares the soil to grow tomatoes next year too.  I
do rotate chiles, eggplants and potatoes, not repeating any in the same
location for four years. If you're short on space for chiles, grow them in
containers. Margaret L