RE: [tomato] hmmmmm

Orchid (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:10:09 -0400

Hi Chuck, would cuttings from the top 6" of tomato plants benefit from the
"take-root" and other rooting powders?  Is it safe?  I had a tomato plant
where only 3 seeds germinated (not yours)  but it was already too late in
the season in the hot South Florida zone 10.  I cut off 8 cuttings of about
4-5 inches, dipped it "take-root" and put it on top of the infamous fungi in
a 3 1/2" peat pot.  It has been a week, and the cuttings (which have minimal
foliage are still green and turgid (did I use that word right?)  There isn't
any growth visible, but I'm hoping that all the energy is being diverted to
forming roots.  I also did the same with an oriental eggplant and a sweet
pepper, and those look like their on the way out....

Do you think the rooting powder helped or hindered in any way?

Pete, Zone 10, South Florida