Re: [tomato] Worm Castings

Suzanne Walter (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 12:29:46 -0500

At 01:00 AM 1/19/2000 -0800, you wrote:
> Worms will inhabit agressively any good soil which has
>organic material in it.  They will inhabit and assist in the composting
>process, whether in a bin or in the soil.

While I'd agree with most of what you've said -- keep in mind that worms
may not thrive in the soil in Pete's part of Florida.  I've been no-till
gardening and adding tons of organic material -- leaves, compost, cardboard
mulch topped with straw and manure.... -- for 3 years in North Central
Florida and I could count the number of worms I've seen in my soil on my
fingers.

I grew 35 heirloom tomato plants from seed last season, plus lots of other
veggies.  I know my soil is good, but no worms.  I've been told by the
local extension office that worms don't like our excessively sandy soil.
Maybe the solution is vermicomposting in bins.

What works in one part of the country may not always work somewhere else.