[tomato] grape tomatoes

deloges@juno.com (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 21:19:35 -0500

Hi!
Over a year ago I posted a question to this list concerning grape
tomatoes. I can hardly believe how many people that I have heard from who
said that they turned up my message while doing a web search for grape
tomatoes. I decided that since my initial message to the list has  turned
up so many times (and with it, requests for any information that I
found), I'd just go ahead and send the info I got. Maybe this message
will show up also in a web search and I won't have so many requests for
it.

I hope that this won't be redundant to any of you. Also learn from this
that your e-mail messages are open to the eyes of all once they go out
over the internet.  :-D

  =^..^=  =^..^=  =^..^=
Rob Loach
deloges@juno.com   <mailto:deloges@juno.com>
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

--------- Forwarded messages ---------

From: Rob Loach <deloges@juno.com>
To: tomato@GlobalGarden.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:15:18 -0500
Subject: [tomato] grape tomatoes

I've been lurking for a while, but I thought I'd jump in with a post. My
wife works in the food service operation at a university. She and some of
her colleagues went to a food show in Columbia SC yesterday. She came
home with all sorts of things that were given to her by various vendors.

One of the things that she came home with was some **wonderful** tomatoes
that the vendor called "grape tomatoes". They look like cherry tomatoes,
but are a tiny bit elongated, rather than perfectly round. The taste is
just SUPER -- they taste like regular sized tomatoes, just a great tomato
taste. The vendor told her that where they grow them they sow themselves
and will take over. If that's the case, I'll gladly give them a corner of
my garden to "take over".

Has anyone heard of these tomatoes before? I'm assuming that they must be
open-pollinated if they produce the same thing as the parent plant did.
If anyone has any info on these, please let me know. I've put some aside
to save seed from so that I can try them out this year. I'll very soon be
starting my seeds in my cold frame. Can't wait!

Enjoying the information on this list so far. Tomatoes are by far my best
crop here in the Piedmont of upstate South Carolina. We normally have
very rainy weather the first part of the summer, followed by hot, HOT
drought.
TTFN!
Rob

Rob Loach in Greenville SC
mailto:deloges@juno.com
Change is constant, and the most dangerous place to be is inside your own
comfort zone.

***
The tomato you have seems to be Riesentraube which translates from the
German to "Giant Bunch of Grapes."  It is about as you describe it and is
one of the few smaller varieties i keep in my collection.

Good gardening,
Chuck Wyatt

***
In a message dated 2/25/99 4:52:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
deloges@juno.com
writes:

<< Has anyone heard of these tomatoes before? I'm assuming that they must
be
 open-pollinated if they produce the same thing as the parent plant did.
 If anyone has any info on these, please let me know. I've put some aside
 to save seed from so that I can try them out this year. I'll very soon
be
 starting my seeds in my cold frame. Can't wait!

 Enjoying the information on this list so far. Tomatoes are by far my
best
 crop here in the Piedmont of upstate South Carolina. We normally have
 very rainy weather the first part of the summer, followed by hot, HOT
 drought.
 TTFN!
 Rob

Rob, sounds like Riesntraube, a german heirloom tomato. Did they have a
little
"nipple" on the elongated end? They are available from
http://www.tomatogrowers.com  Tomato Growers Supply Company
Tomato
and Pepper Seed Catalog. Your weather sounds an awful lot like mine
here
south of Augusta, GA :-)

Fred

***