Re: [tomato] Lost Everything

William McKay (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Thu, 06 Apr 2000 19:08:19 PDT

I too have an unheated greenhouse.  Have some tomatoes out there now and the
past few evenings the temperature has gone below freezing.  So far, no
problems.  Have a couple of suggestions.

1.  My unheated hoophouse traditionally has stayed about 2 degrees above the
outside ambient temperature, especially this time of year when the
temperature is cold.  I take that into consideration and also make it a
habit to cover the plants with a double layer of remay cloth when I think it
is going to get cold.  This morning, for example, there was ice in the
bucket in the greenhouse, but the tomatoes were fine under the remay.  It
seems to give me about five degrees of protection.

2.  I never water in the evening, especially this time of year.  You are
asking for trouble.  If at all possible, water in the morning and allow
things to dry off.  Prevents lots of disease problems.

Bill McKay in eastern massachusetts.