Re: [tomato] Leaves turning yellow from the ground up

Margaret Lauterbach (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:52:37 -0600

At 04:49 PM 6/27/00 -0700, you wrote:
>OK, this has happened for the second year in a row
>now.
>
>I have huge, healthy tomato plants. I'm growing them
>inside cylinders of chicken wire, and they seem to
>love that. We have lots and lots of blossoms and quite
>a few 1" green tomatoes growing.
>
>However, the leaves are starting to turn yellow,
>starting with yellow patches on green leaves, from the
>ground up. I've tried dusting them with a copper-based
>dust, but I'm not sure I see any improvement.
>
>They are weird-looking plants -- they look totally
>healthy on the top, but sickly toward the ground.
>
>I've been trying to research this problem. At first, I
>thought it was manganese deficiency, but in that case,
>the plants wouldn't be so huge, I think. I've read a
>little about fusarium, but I'm not sure that's it
>either. Can anyone help me understand this?
>
>Thanks,
>Todd
why don't you remove a small branch with some of the affected leaves on it
and take it to your county extension agent for identification of the
problem? It would be better if you'd find out the cause of a problem before
you used a chemical on it, BTW. Margaret L