Re: [tomato] Yellow Pear/Olie

Margaret Lauterbach (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:18:55 -0600

At 01:26 AM 7/25/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Olie,
>
>I am wondering how your tomatoes are doing RE: yellowing leaves, brown leaves
>etc.  I talked to HD in San Ramon where I bought my Kuhawara Nursery
>tomatoes.  I really fear they have "infected" my garden.  I don't want to
>pull out my plants, but guess we will need to sterilize the soil, tools,
>etc., as a precaution for 2001.  This would be dreadful as I won't be able to
>save or trade any seeds from my 37 heirloom varieties!!!!
>
>Mary-Anne

Have you identified the problem with your tomatoes, Mary-Anne? If it's
verticillium or fusarium wilts, you could sterilize the soil, then plant
resistant plants there next year. If your tomatoes are afflicted with curly
top virus, that's an insect-borne disease, and has nothing to do with the
soil. Byron lives in the northeast, and only know what he's read, if any,
about that disease. Margaret L