[tomato] RE:

Kristina Fritz (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:55:09 -0400

Don't kill them!  They sound like tomato hornworms that have been
parasitized.  The white sacks are eggs from a small parasitic wasp.  The
caterpillars are doomed (they feast on tomato leaves) and if you don't kill
them, a new flock of small wasps will emerge to protect your garden.

Just remove them from the tomatoes and let them live.

-Kristina

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tomato@GlobalGarden.com
[mailto:owner-tomato@GlobalGarden.com]On Behalf Of tfarmer@att.net
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 1:59 PM
To: tomato@GlobalGarden.com

I have some tomato plants in a planter on the deck.  I
noticed 2 caterpillars on them.  They are large (about 2
inches long) green with white sacks attached all over
their bodies.  I noticed black droppings on the deck
under these bugs.  The plant is producing plenty of
fruit but seem a little wilted but I think that is more
a factor of water (they dry out quickly in the planters)
I have one plant out in the yard that apparently does
not have any of these pests on there yet and it is doing
fine.  Anyone know what these are?  Can I just kill them
and be done with it or are more steps needed?

Tom
St. Louis, MO