Re: [gardeners] Artichokes

Sat, 17 Jan 1998 15:42:22

At 02:08 PM 1/17/98 -0700, you wrote:
>At 09:42 AM 1/17/98 +0000, you wrote:
>>asidv@ktc.com <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Either that, or I am trying to talk myself into thinking
>>> that a soil pH of 7.8 is really not so horrible if I end up moving
>>> here to live year round!
>>>
>>> Suggestions, admonitions, warnings, and advice appreciated.
>>
>>Don't move there.
>>
>>I'd give them a whirl.  They grow artichokes in Arizona (see Deborah
>>Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone) so they should have some
>>heat tolerant varieties.  I know there is one that is grown in S.
>>Louisiana called "Creole".  My guess is that her problem is going to
>>be winter temperatures.  Below 20F and they begin to die off.
>>
>>Also, artichokes from seed are like doing mint or lavender from seed
>>-- they don't come true.  That's the reason most folks start with
>>root divisions.  And if artichokes turn out to be an annual for her
>>she's got a better chance of getting something edible if she starts
>>with roots.
>>
>>I've been thinking about trying them as a plant in an edible
>>ornamental garden.
>>
>>Liz
>>
>Well, where do you get roots then?  I've never seen them available.
>
>If ou're going to do an edible ornamental garden, you've got to do okra.
>Beautiful blossoms.  Margaret

We grew purple okra one year, beautiful plant. Purple leaves and fruit,
same yellowish bloom. Fruit cooks up green. Looked outstanding in the
garden. Could probably plant it in the back of a flower bed and it would
make a good backdrop plant. The variety (I've forgotten the name) only grew
about 5 feet tall. We didn't grow it again because the green varieties are
more prolific. Fava's would make a good edible ornamental garden variety
too. The upright style with the white blossoms with the purple throat makes
an attractive plant. We grew a couple of decorative kale this year and have
been eating them in salads and as a green. There are many ornamental
edibles out there, scarlet runner bean, hyacinth bean, etc.

George