Re: [gardeners] Liz asked:

Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:49:32

At 07:18 PM 4/20/98 -0500, you wrote:

>From: asidv@fbg.net <asidv@fbg.net>
>
>>Standing Cypress: gilia rubra, a biennial or perennial that
>>will grow from seed and sometimes even bloom the first year. It is
>>3 to 5 feet high, with feathery, threadlike leaves. The flowers are
>>scarlet, in a plume, and open from bottom to top.
>
>I know this as Ipomopsis rubra.  The USDA plant database lists
>both, and indicates they are synonymous.  Does anyone know
>which is more botanically correct?
>
>They show gilia as the common name for some ipomopsis sp.
>They show ipomopsis as the common name for some gilia sp.
>What the hell is more tiresome than taxonomy.
>
>manytimes,
>tom
>zone 5a, NE Illinois, -21ºF Min
>http://www.anet-chi.com/~manytimes

It's those blasted botanists, they're trying to confuse the issue so they
can keep working. Once you're thoroughly confused then they decide to
rename a whole bunch of plants to confuse you further. Down with taxonomy,
down with botanists, gardeners of the world arise!

George, who stays confused anyway