[gardeners] Lazy Gardening

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 12:49:29 +0000

Margaret Lauterbach <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:

> George, they've had a recent thread running on OGL.  I don't know whether
> you're back on there or not. Tony and Moira from NZ are advocating no-till
> flower and veggie beds...put at least 10 sheets of newspaper on top of sod,
> in the configuration you want your bed, water it down then top it off with
> 5 to 6 inches of compost. By spring it will be good to plant in, and you
> don't have the sod removal effort.  If you want to wait until
> spring...Best, Margaret

Are they in cold or warm winter areas or does that even matter?

Since I'm anticipating being laid up in the near future I'm only
planning to expand 2 beds that need to be deeper rather than putting
in new ones.  I've heard this idea being kicked around here and there
and would love to do this if it will work.

Liz