RE: [gardeners] Basil

Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:41:09 -0500 (CDT)

At 02:32 PM 9/22/97 -0400, you wrote:
>George,
>Are you saying that you will use **2 gallons +** of dried basil in a
>year??!!!  Holy Hannah!  I've got about 2 quart jars  filled with the
>basil I dried this weekend and I probably won't use half of it in a
>year.  I dried mine in the oven set at about 140F (the lowest I could
>set it). Left it in there for about 8 hours. I don't know if it would've
>dried well in less time because I put it in before I went to bed, so I
>didn't check on it at all. Tastes great, though.
>
>Alice in London, Ohio (zone 6) where it was so cold last night, that
>hubby ran down to give the furnace a quick test.
>seyfried@oclc.org
Nay, nay, being often short of ready cash we send herb packets out at Xmas
to friends and relatives. Always have requests for more basil. In addition I
make flavored vinegars with various herbs for personal use and for gifts. I
do use a lot of basil though, sauces, broiled chicken, etc. Dietary
restraints keep me from using salt so I flavor with yarbs.

George