Re: [gardeners] The End Is Near

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 12:22:25 -0700

At 10:54 AM 10/14/97 +0000, you wrote:

>> I'm with you, Cheryl.  I have a greenhouse, and love that, but as for the
>> outdoor garden, I'm focused now on soil improvement.  That's true of every
>> fall, and I can't wait for the leaves to fall.  Free nutrients.  I used to
>> drive around neighborhoods looking for people bagging leaves so I could ask
>> if I could have their leaves for my garden.  Very few were already promised
>> to other gardeners, so rakers and baggers were delighted I wanted their
>> leaves.  Most even helped me load them into the pickup.  I have a camper
>> top, so can hold about 25 bags (if I slam the tailgate and/or the back
>> window fast enough).  Margaret
>
>This is good to hear, Margaret. I'm planning on hustling leaves this
>fall and have been worried that people would think I'm whacko (don't
>say it, George).  Believe it or not, the only reason I didn't go out
>leaf hustling last year is that I was intimidated by how I thought
>people might react.  Dumb, huh.  But this is Idaho and I had a vision
>of folks with rifles and hunting dogs.
>
>Liz

I'll tell you the whole story, then, Liz.  Several years ago I ran an ad in
a weekly advertising pub. that was delivered to every home, asking for
"free fertilizer for my garden."  I got 27 calls, only one from another
gardener saying if I had more offers than I could handle, would I give her
the extra name or names?  I selected a livery stable because they had a
mountain of aged horse manure and bedding, and it was easy to get to.
Friends joined me in hauling manure away.  Dump trucks full, and I had
several pickups full.  We didn't make a dent in the mountain.

Be sure you always specify what you're asking for is for your garden. Even
Idahoans think that's charming.  With your cultah-ed Sothron accent and
all, you may charm them out of more than you bargained for. ;-)) Margaret