Re: [gardeners] In the Garden

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 11:13:08 +0000

Margaret Lauterbach <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:

> Well, Cheryl, what else is good about the souf is George, Liz and
> Catharine.  But apart from that, if you'll pop for seeds for that Bright
> Lights chard, build yourself a raised bed and a hoop and plastic cover, a
> la a Conestoga wagon, I'll bet you'd have greens all winter too.  Margaret

Which reminds me -- I've been meaning to brag about my chard.  It's
not nifty chard like Bright Lights -- just a plain old white variety
-- but it's going nuts in the garden.  The base of each plant is
almost a foot in diameter and the leaves are just gorgeous.  We're
having some for dinner tonight.

I've got some planters that are about a foot deep, 8 inches wide and
4 feet long.  I've been debating dragging one inside and planting
some of the more cold tolerant salad stuff in it then sticking it on
the edge of the carport so that it gets the sun but experiences temps
in the 40's.  I figure I can drag it in if it looks like we're gonna
get some truly cold weather and put it under the fluorescents.  All I
want is something fresh to cut.  What do yall think?

Liz