Re: [gardeners] Xmas Gifts

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 07:03:32 -0700

At 06:13 AM 12/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Got a box of seeds purported to be a mixture of many of the things grown at
>Giverney, Monet's home in France. The seeds are grouped by color only, are
>mixed annuals, perennials and biennials, and are supposed to fill a 12 x
>25' space. Anyone miss what's wrong with this picture? For someone who
>still has trouble discarding seedlings occasionally, regardless of the
>reason, I'm thinking these containers of seeds would be best thrown away
>sooner than later. I'll recognize many of the plants as they get true
>leaves but my head is already aching. Believe it or not, someone with a
>garden gave it to me. Do I meet the challenge or throw the whole business
>into the meadow? What did you get?
>
>Cheryl Schaefer
>schaefer @epix.net
>Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY

One thing I got was two truckloads of shredded leaves, courtesy of the
professional lawn tenders who work in our neighborhood.  Since I have
drive-in access to my garden, I let them dump grass clippings there most of
the summer, thereby saving them at least an hour of driving to the
landfill.  I let the clippings rest for at least two weeks, then spread
them as mulch in my garden.  The owner of the maintenance company is still
mystified at the disappearance of tons and tons of organic matter over the
years he's had crews bring me grass.  Early in the Fall, we spread all of
the contents of my compost containers over the garden and tilled everything
in, so I had some empty spaces.  Just haven't had the gumption to move the
leaves into any  of the containers, and layer them with stuff.  I don't
think I have any green stuff.  I have only horse pucky and leaves.  Hmmm.
Am I gearing up to make a big gardening mistake?  Margaret