Re: HP was Re: [gardeners] monsterspit revisited

drusus@golden.net (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 09 Jan 1998 14:37:32 -0500

At 11:23 AM 09-01-98 +0000, Liz Albrook wrote:
>drusus@golden.net <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:
>
>> What has been the problem with Hewlett Packard?  I am thinking about a new
>> printer........
>>
>> I have been satisfied with the Laserjet 3.
>
>I'd consider trading my 5P for your 3.
>
>For one thing the paper feed on mine is the pits -- over half the
>time the paper feeds through on a slant.  Paper feeds through from
>the top and I'm forever cleaning dust out of the top.  This problem
>developed within weeks of getting the printer and HP product support
>has been *terrible*.  They have essentially said "tough noogies".
>Someone on that other list had the same complaint last year about a
>different HP model -- and the same tech support complaint.  Epson, on
>the other hand, does indeed provide tech support, will admit that
>their printers occasionally malfunction and will do something about
>it.
>
>I once loved HP printers -- back when I used the Laserjet 3.  Dang
>fine printer.  The output from my printer is perfect when the page
>feeds correctly.  I've tried several brands of paper and used several
>weights but HP refuses to admit there's a problem.  They don't return
>phone calls or faxes.
>
>I think they have Michigan Bulb providing tech support.
>
>Liz

We've had the Laserjet 3 for 6 years or so and not a single problem.  We
have industrial use on it too, all papers for school and research etc.  We
buy paper by the box of  5000 and have gone through 3 boxes in a year.
Lots of printing.  My husband has a small desktop 4L which works well, too.
 No trades.  We are considering a colour printer, though, but won't get rid
of these.  We have 2 old dot matrix which are still going strong; those are
at the office.

Lucinda