Re: [gardeners] Nigella - Love in a mist

Lillian Kepp (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 11 Jan 98 00:57:13 PST

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:22:29 -0500  Cynthia Mayeaux wrote:
>At 10:48 PM 1/10/98 PST, you wrote:
>>Cynthia,
>>
>>Good, good.  I'm glad to hear that. I might have received the
seeds
>>from you, maybe Cheryl.  I'd have to check.  I know it was a "C"
>>lady. :)
>>
>>Lillian
>
>Must have been Cheryl, I only put them in this past spring for the
first
>time.  I did collect some seed and used the pods in some crafts.
If none
>pop back up for you, let me know and I'll send you some seed.
>
>Cynthia (who chortled when I saw that a few dried Nigella pods were
selling
>for $6 at a local craft show)

That's why I try to grow my own flowers for crafts.  You can spend
a fortune on them at craft shows and shops.  When I was at the Ohio
Gourd Show someone was selling Fibigia.  I guess she heard it was
nice for dried arrangements.  Trouble is, she cut it too soon and
didn't know you remove the outer part of the seed head like you do
the money plant.  But you really don't cut it till that part starts
to dry or it's too hard to remove and you lose the "good" part for
crafts.  I told her how to do it, didn't buy any of hers tho.
When I took my garden walks lately, mine was still green.  It's a
biennial so should have plenty of blooms next year.

It only has small yellow flowers on it, but it's a nice upright
plant and does look ok with other flowers, nothing like the unruly
money plant.

Lillian