Re: [gardeners] epazote

Marianne Lepa (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:50:44 -0500

Hey Tom,

Thanks for all this great information.

At 03:34 PM 1/13/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I like the taste - sort of a cross between lime and oregano.  While
>fresh use just the tender leaves.  Later, You can dry it in the herb
>dryer, stripping off just the micro sized
>flower beads, then use it in any cooked dish all winter.

I was wondering if it would dry well. Good to know.

>It is invasive for me unless cut down prior to winter.  If not, hundreds
>of babies germinate the following spring around the base of each
>former plant, however, they are easily pulled.  In later years, you will
>continue to find seedlings or plants in odd places on your property
>as a result of seeds not fully killed in composting.

It sounds like this won't be a problem up here. Although the composter
might allow seeds to survive a winter.

>Many people report difficulty in germination, but given their self-
>sowing capabilities, I would suggest that you simply throw the
>seeds onto the ground - today.

Well, maybe not today...it's -15C out there right now. ;-)

>One of the restaurants I used to grow for had a Mexican chef.  I
>asked him what other chefs used as a substitute, since epazote
>is not available on the wholesale produce list in the Chicago area,
>and he replied "bay leaves".

That's funny, a lot my Mexican recipes call for bay leaf. I suppose I could
just substitute epazote.

Thanks again,
Marianne
Southeastern Ontario AgCan zone 5b