Re: [gardeners] Decaisnea fargesii

Cheryl & Erich Schaefer (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 23:12:03 -0500 (EST)

>From: Cheryl & Erich Schaefer <schaefer@epix.net>
>
>> One of the seeds I'm ordering is for a plant I've been unable to find
>>anywhere - descaisnea fargesii. It's a shrub, 6-10 ft x 4 ft with large
>>blue seedpods and bizarre flower clusters. I haven't even been able to find
>>it in books, just the original one from which I got the name, description
>>and no source. I just hope I'm lucky enough to get the seed. Anyone have
>>this one? Any experience germinating the seed?
>
>Treat this seed a bit like Cimicifuga, i.e., 12wks@68ºF, 12wks@39ºF,
>12wks@oscillate betw 39º and 53ºF.  Prick out any seedlings that
>appear during that time.  Then plunge the pot to the surface in moist sand
>out of doors or in a cold frame, and the remaining seeds should show
>some activity the following spring.
>
>good luck,
>tom
>
>p.s.  perhaps you have not been able to find it because of the spelling

Wow, Tom. I'm afraid I'm not equipped for such precision. Do you have any
suggestions? As for the spelling, the above was straight out of the seed
list but agreed with what I had seen before. You didn't repeat it, but I'm
open to another spelling.

Cheryl Schaefer
schaefer @epix.net
Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY