Re: [gardeners]Cabbage Loopers [was: Seeds]

Cheryl & Erich Schaefer (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 13:59:24 -0500 (EST)

>Marianne Lepa <mlepa@adan.kingston.net> wrote:
>
>> A commercial organic grower of my aquaintance has experimented with all
>> sorts of repellants for brassica pests. According to him, unless there is
>> some sort of a trap crop available, then scents simply won't be strong
>> enough to keep the moths away. He says the only surefire way to keep the
>> pests out of the brassicas is row covers. He special orders a 400 count
>> muslin to use for row covers because the spun ones contain plastic! (And I
>> thought I was pure...)
>
>Just when I think I know what is meant by organic someone or
>other comes along and surprises me.  This is also what concerns
>the hell out of me about the Federal Organic Certification
>Program (as opposed to state certifications).
>
>I have to ask:  what is the problem with using some plastic in
>the spun row covers?
>
>Frankly, I can't imagine what other effects that density of
>muslin would have, like shading the plants and blocking air
>circulation.
>
>I am using standard row covers and so far, the state organic
>cert folks haven't complained about it.
>
>Jaime
>jknoble@warwick.net

I suspect it has less to do with organic certification than with using
plastics in general and the fact that they are not biodegradable. We all
have to find our own comfort level with respect to how we treat the
environment, I suppose. Purists and fanatics have their place, no doubt to
counteract those who could care less. The rest of us muddle along in the
middle ground.  Cheryl

Cheryl Schaefer
schaefer @epix.net
Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY