Okras was Re: [gardeners] Artichokes

asidv@ktc.com (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 18:16:12 +0000

George wrote:

> We grew purple okra one year, beautiful plant. Purple leaves and fruit,
> same yellowish bloom. Fruit cooks up green. Looked outstanding in the
> garden. Could probably plant it in the back of a flower bed and it would
> make a good backdrop plant.

Red (Burgundy) okra is stunning in a perennial bed. I had some mixed
with Castor bean plants, rudbeckia, Clary sage (deep, deep blue) and
wild roses. Sounds tacky as all get out, but it was beautiful. Also
some African blue basil. So, although they aren't as prolific
producers as the green varieties, I can't garden without 'em.

Catharine