Re: [gardeners] Fw: Propogating Tree Collards

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 09:03:07 -0700

At 09:14 AM 1/18/98, you wrote:
>At 07:39 AM 1/18/98 -0700, you wrote:

>>>Yeup. I eat 'em any chance I get. I love 'em raw when they are tender
>>>and young; steamed lightly when they are adolescents; braised with
>>>smoked ham and Parmesan rind when they're long in the tooth. Life
>>>without collards and cornbread would just not be fittin...
>>>
>>>Catharine
>>
>>Catharine, have you grown/eaten couve tronchuda or any of the other couves?
>> A few years ago, Redwood City had seeds for several varieties of couve
>>available, which they identified as a "gourmet" collards.  Last year's
>>catalog featured only the couve tronchuda, which they called a 'cabbage'.
>>"can take heat better than any other cabbage family member, and is one of
>>the only greens that can be grown in hot weather."  I haven't received my
>>'98 catalog from Redwood City yet, so I'll be curious about their couve
>>offerings.  BTW, Seed Savers' '97 yearbook featured Couve tronchuda under
>>cabbage/green/smooth.  That said it was "grown for its thick
>>midribs,...leaves also edible, frost improves flavour, very succulent sweet
>>midribs...." I didn't know you et collards.
>>
>>Cornbread?  I love cornbread, but you probably wouldn't like mine.  I bake
>>it with a sugar glaze on top...Margaret
>>
>Any cornbread with sugar in or on it is classified as "cake" around here.
>Only one true way to make cornbread. Heat oven to 450F with a well-greased
>black iron skillet in the oven. Mix together: 2 cups cornmeal, 1 tspn
>baking soda, 1/2 tspn salt. Add and mix 2 eggs, well beaten, and 2 cups
>buttermilk. Pour into heated skillet and bake 20-25 minutes. Very good as
>"hand" cornbread with a little butter, crumble and pour milk over it along
>with chopped onion and a little black pepper (my favorite), put beans and
>sausage over it or, with leftovers, heat it up and put a little pure cane
>syrup on it for breakfast. Damn, now I gotta make cornbread this evening.
>
>George

Well, now you've made me hungry, too.  I'm hungry for cornbread dipped in
bean soup.  Onion sandwiches are good too, and easier.  Bad eating I picked
up from SIL -- big old slice of onion on mayo-ed bread, topped by another
bread slice, dip in bean soup.  Yum.  and undoubtedly fattening.  Margaret