Re: [gardeners] Fw: Propogating Tree Collards

Sun, 18 Jan 1998 12:54:18

At 09:03 AM 1/18/98 -0700, you wrote:
>At 09:14 AM 1/18/98, you wrote:

>>>Catharine, have you grown/eaten couve tronchuda or any of the other couves?
>>> A few years ago, Redwood City had seeds for several varieties of couve
>>>available, which they identified as a "gourmet" collards.  Last year's
>>>catalog featured only the couve tronchuda, which they called a 'cabbage'.
>>>"can take heat better than any other cabbage family member, and is one of
>>>the only greens that can be grown in hot weather."  I haven't received my
>>>'98 catalog from Redwood City yet, so I'll be curious about their couve
>>>offerings.  BTW, Seed Savers' '97 yearbook featured Couve tronchuda under
>>>cabbage/green/smooth.  That said it was "grown for its thick
>>>midribs,...leaves also edible, frost improves flavour, very succulent sweet
>>>midribs...." I didn't know you et collards.
>>>
>>>Cornbread?  I love cornbread, but you probably wouldn't like mine.  I bake
>>>it with a sugar glaze on top...Margaret
>>>
>>Any cornbread with sugar in or on it is classified as "cake" around here.
>>Only one true way to make cornbread. Heat oven to 450F with a well-greased
>>black iron skillet in the oven. Mix together: 2 cups cornmeal, 1 tspn
>>baking soda, 1/2 tspn salt. Add and mix 2 eggs, well beaten, and 2 cups
>>buttermilk. Pour into heated skillet and bake 20-25 minutes. Very good as
>>"hand" cornbread with a little butter, crumble and pour milk over it along
>>with chopped onion and a little black pepper (my favorite), put beans and
>>sausage over it or, with leftovers, heat it up and put a little pure cane
>>syrup on it for breakfast. Damn, now I gotta make cornbread this evening.
>>
>>George
>>
>Well, now you've made me hungry, too.  I'm hungry for cornbread dipped in
>bean soup.  Onion sandwiches are good too, and easier.  Bad eating I picked
>up from SIL -- big old slice of onion on mayo-ed bread, topped by another
>bread slice, dip in bean soup.  Yum.  and undoubtedly fattening.  Margaret

My Dad's favorite sandwich was mustard on white bread with a big slice of
bologna, the kind you sliced yourself, and a huge slice of white onion with
black pepper on it. Wrap it in wax paper and carry it in your hunting coat
pocket until noon and then eat it. When I was a kid I never understood the
attraction but I eat them myself on occasion now but use wheat bread. If it
tastes good it's gotta be fattening.

We had a gift certificate to the Outback restaurant so went last night. One
hour wait for a table and then $36.00, tip included, for two very delicious
sirloin steaks. I had a small baked potato and Anne had the baked sweet
potato. We each brought half a steak home as it was way to much for us.
Don't believe any of that beef ever saw Oz as it was fork tender. Can't
afford to eat there often as I would soon weigh twice what I do now.

George