Re: [gardeners] Fw: Propogating Tree Collards

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 07:20:51 -0700

At 04:30 PM 1/22/98 -0500, you wrote:

>>Very sorry to hear about your Grandmother, Bambi.  I hope you know the
>>varieties of things she grew.  Wish I knew the varieties of my
>>grandmothers' favorites.  Margaret
>>
>Thanks Margaret.  I have several flowers that she used to grow that she
>shared
>with me over the years.  I don't know the names of the varieties of flowers,
>but I
>have the flowers  :-)
>The one thing I wish I knew what variety she grew is collards.  She called
>them
>cabbage collards, as they were lighter green than most and were sweeter and
>more tender than most collards.  The seeds were not available around here,
>so
>she saved her own seed every year.  I don't know where she got the first
>seeds
>from---I think she said someone gave them to her.  Anyway, they are gone
>now,
>and I don't know what it was.  They were the best collards that I've ever
>eaten, though.
>
>Soon I'm going to her house and get cuttings from her camillias.  They are
>beautiful
>right now.  I want to try to propagate some of hers for myself.
>
>Bambi
>Coastal NC
>Zone 8
>Sunset zone 31

Bambi, Lucinda's right.  Watch for volunteers and guard them with your
might.  If none appear, you might try Redwood City Seed Co.
(http://www.batnet.com/rwc-seed) that has Couve Tronchuda, that has been
described elsewhere as a gourmet collard, and here as the "finest form of
cabbage"...and that is also known as the "cabbage of seven weeks."  It
might be at least close to the right collard.  Margaret