Re: [gardeners] greenhouse

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 20:59:51 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Angelika Burles wrote:

> I have a Northern Lights Greenhouse (from Vermont).  I move alot of
> plants into it in the the winter.  Since I am on the Southern Oregon
> Coast, my winters and wet, wet & wet.  Mold grows like crazy.  I clean
> it up as best I can.  I don't want to spray, because since the vents
> stay closed in the winter, the smell drives me crazy.  I was wondering
> if adding a heater would help any.  I have about 12 miniature potted
> roses in my 10x12 greenhouse and surely don't want to loose any.

Angelika, I believe the solution to your problem is to open the vents...
there are automatic vent openers available for a reasonable price that do
the job without electricity when temps rise to about 70oF.  Miniature
roses generally survive in the ground in the Portland area with no
protection at all...  the ones in front of my house are still blooming.  I
know it tends to get colder on the coast than in the Willamette Valley,
but most plants can take at least 35-40oF soil temps with no problem.

One way to increase the availability of heat in the evening while still
opening the vents during the daytime is to add a bunch of closely-stacked
jugs of water under the benches and wherever else you can find a place
to stash them.  Used milk jugs are fine... fill them up and cap them,
and they'll store heat for you.

If you start seedlings in your greenhouse, I think you'll find you've
got less of a problem with damping off if the vents are open now and
then, too.

Kay Lancaster  kay@fern.com